Diarrhea is a dreaded condition that could affect your everyday life. This condition may get you sidelined into doing your work efficiently, which is why it has to be dealt with right way. Basically, diarrhea is bowel movements that are watery and loose. Although it is not that serious, it is common nowadays, and it could lead to dehydration if it persists for a longer time frame. Also, there are people who have diarrhea as a result of irritable bowel syndrome, or other diseases of the large intestine.
There are three classifications of diarrhea known nowadays. These are exudative, secretory and osmotic.
- Exudative diarrhea – This type of diarrhea pertains to the presence of the blood and the pus in the bowel movement. This likely occurs with bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease.
- Secretory diarrhea – Secretory diarrhea takes place when the body starts releasing water into the bowel. Several infections, along with medications and conditions might cause the onset of this type of diarrhea.
- Osmotic diarrhea – This classification of diarrhea means that there is something in the stools that may probably draw water from the body. Sorbitol, a sugar substitute found in candy and gum, may be the reason why water is drawn into the bowel, which could ultimately lead in osmotic diarrhea.
Before you know the home remedies to address diarrhea and get rid of it instantly, you must first know the causes of the condition. One of the most common causes of diarrhea is a virus that tends to infect the gastrointestinal tract. Usually, the infection may last for up to two days. It is also known as stomach flu or intestinal flu. Here is the list of the causes of diarrhea:
- Eating foods that affect the health of the digestive system
- Radiation therapy
- Certain drugs
- Intestinal diseases
- Infections caused by bacteria and other organisms
- Abuse of laxative
Signs And Symptoms Of Diarrhea
You must understand the signs and symptoms of diarrhea because there are signs that may lead to a more troubling illness.
- Watery bowel movement
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loose stools
- The need to defacate urgently
- Abdominal cramps and bloating
Some serious signs include blood in the stool, fever and weight loss. When these symptoms take place, you have to consult your doctor right away, especially if you are experiencing episodes of vomiting.
What Are The Natural Remedies To Treat Diarrhea?
There are several medications that can help address the problems related to diarrhea. However, if you want an all-natural treatment for the condition, then you have to consider the natural remedies. These natural remedies will not give you any side effects, which is why they are safe for you. Most of these natural treatment can be found at home and in the produce aisle, so you will get an easy access to them.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is one of the most effective home treatments for diarrhea. If you want to have a quick relief from the condition, you have to include yogurt to your diet. In particular, look for the yogurt with live cultures. These so-called cultures will help your intestines, which can provide protection against bacteria. However, if in case you already have diarrhea, then yogurt will produce lactic acid in the intestines. Lactic acid can help kill the bacteria responsible for having diarrhea. This can help you feel better in a faster manner.
Yogurt with live culture also helps in treating diarrhea that has taken place as a result of taking oral antibiotics. There are oral antibiotics that kill the beneficial bacteria found in the intestines, which is why eating live culture yogurt will help get rid of the problem. It helps to replenish the good bacteria in the intestines.
- Chamomile tea – If you are suffering from intestinal inflammation, along with several problems in the gut, drinking chamomile tea is essential. It can treat the inflammation in the intestines, which causes diarrhea. Also, it has antispasmodic properties. Drink three cups of chamomile tea each day if you want to get faster results.
- Apple cider vinegar – One of the universal home remedies is apple cider vinegar. It works with several conditions and in this case, it can help keep diarrhea at bay. Apple cider vinegar is a great home remedy as it can eliminate major bacteria that cause the condition to take place. Its high concentrations of pectin can likewise give you a soothing sensation, following the irritation in the intestinal walls in your colon. You have to add one teaspoon ad apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Drink the solution at least twice each day until the condition has subsided.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fenugreek seeds can be purchased at your local market, and they can provide a relief against diarrhea. However, make sure to understand that this remedy is for adults only. Its safety among children with diarrhea is not explored yet, so it has to be considered only if the one suffering from the condition is a grownup. This particular home remedy will significantly help you get rid of the condition. If you are suffering from a long-term diarrhea, then you have to consider this. Preparation for this is simple. You must mix a half teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with water, then drink it.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are sweet and tangy fruit that can help ward off the signs of diarrhea. It can be added to your daily meals such as cereal or yogurt. Or, you can eat a handful of blueberries. Dried blueberry soup is common in some parts of the world as an effective treatment for diarrhea. It likewise contains antioxidants that can further provide help in getting rid of the condition.
- Starchy foods – Foods rich in starch can actually help ease the stomach. Examples of starchy foods are tapioca cereals and rice. When preparing the cereals, make sure that you do not put too much salt or sugar to it. Too much sugar or salt may only worsen the condition. Another source of starch is potatoes. Potatoes are rich in starch and they can help in the restoration of the nutrients in the stomach. However, when we talk about potatoes, French fries are not included. Fried foods may only exacerbate the condition. Make sure to steam starchy foods to get the best effects they have when it comes to getting rid of the condition.
- Ginger – Another natural yet effective treatment for diarrhea is ginger. It is likewise used for the treatment of food poisoning, and cramps and pain in the stomach. Preparing for it is simple. First, you have to grate a small piece of ginger and add a teaspoon of honey. You have to take the mixture to facilitate the release of gastric juices, which can improve digestion. However, if you eat the mixture. You must not drink water right away.
Furthermore, ginger can also be prepared as a drink, you can have a ginger blend at least two times a day to ward off diarrhea. Preparation is likewise easy. You must slice one piece of ginger and add them to a cup of water. Afterward, boil the water for a period of two minutes. Strain the water, then add honey before drinking. This helps the taste to become easier for people.
Other Natural Methods To Help Get Rid Of Diarrhea Once And For All
Aside from the foods to eat to get rid of diarrhea, it is likewise important to consider the natural lifestyle changes to ultimately eliminate the condition. Take a look at some of the most efficient lifestyle modifications that you have to consider to completely get rid of diarrhea.
- Hydration is important – If you want to get rid of bacteria, then you need to stay hydrated at all times! When you suffer from diarrhea, a significant amount of water is being eliminated from the body, which might lead to dehydration. Also, aside from the water you lose during diarrhea, electrolytes will also be included, and all the essential nutrients. That being said, it is important to drink plenty of fluids to help fight off the symptoms of diarrhea such as dehydration.
You have to drink eight to 10 glasses of water every day until the problem subsides. However, water alone is not a good source of electrolytes. Make sure to likewise replace electrolytes by drinking sports drinks such as Gatorade. This drink has electrolytes that can help you replace them and get energized. Another alternative to help replace electrolytes in the body is over-the-counter electrolyte replacement supplement. They are available in drugstores without any prescription required.
- Make sure to get sufficient sleep – If you want to get a relief from the condition, then you have to get some rest. And the best way to get some rest is to sleep. Have sufficient hours of sleep if you wish to get rid not only of the possibilities of having a diarrhea, but you can likewise eliminate any problems when it comes to other chronic illnesses. You can also try resting in bed while sipping a cup of warm tea to relieve abdominal pain or cramps.
- Avoid several types of foods – If you want to get rid of diarrhea right away, then you have to likewise consider avoiding certain foods. Milk, cheese and other types of dairy products could potentially worsen the condition, which is why they have to be avoided. In addition, you have to avoid drinking beverages high in caffeine. This is the last thing that you have to consider drinking if you are having a hard time dealing with diarrhea. Remember that your stomach is already stimulated when you have a diarrhea, which is why you must not introduce another stimulant.
Be sure to likewise avoid rich in fiber. Fiber-rich foods also stimulate the stomach, which promote bowel movement. When you have diarrhea, you are already experiencing bowel movements, so the best thing to do is to avoid these types of foods. Moreover, you have to cut down the intake of spicy foods. They are not ideal for your condition, and they may further lead to the irritation in the intestinal wall. As much as possible, you have to stick to soup, soda crackers, several types of fruits and vegetables, and skinless chicken.
Why It Is Essential To Treat Diarrhea Right Away?
Dealing with diarrhea is a pain, which is why it has to be treated right away. Knowing he different ways to deal with the condition may be unpleasant, especially if you do not know the right methods to get rid of the condition. The listed home remedies here will help you eliminate all the signs and symptoms of diarrhea, which can likewise help you have a better quality of life. If you know how to treat diarrhea using these home remedies, then using OTC drugs will never be an option. All you have to do is to commit yourself into having all these remedies ready to combat the signs and symptoms of diarrhea, let alone help enhance the quality of your life.