Arthritis is a type of condition that results in pain, stiffness, inflammation and aching around the joints. The symptoms of this condition may develop either suddenly or gradually. There are certain conditions that could also involve the immune system and several internal organs to constitute into having arthritis. Although arthritis literally means joint inflammation, it is also used to describe almost 200 rheumatic conditions affecting the joints, and the tissues around the joint. In addition, this disorder is common among adults who are 65 years and older. Nevertheless, there are several types of arthritis that can affect people regardless of age, including children.
Arthritis can have a big impact towards life, which is why it has to be at least controlled. Almost 22 million people suffering from the condition have reported limitations to their activities of daily living. There is likewise 40% report that it is difficult to do one out of nine activities every day. The inability of the people to do their daily task because of the condition may also hinder the quality of their lives, their level of care for their family, and their role in the community. That being said, knowing the best home remedies to fight off arthritis, or at least manage it, is essential. But before that, make sure to know the causes of arthritis to solve the root cause of the problem.
What Are The Causes Of Arthritis And How To Deal With Them?
There is no particular cause of arthritis. The cause depends on the form or type of arthritis. As mentioned, there are almost 200 types of condition that could be linked to the onset of arthritis. Here are the potential causes of arthritis:
- Abnormal rate of metabolism – If you have an abnormal metabolic rate, it could lead to a condition known as gout.
- Abnormal immune system – This might cause several conditions resulting ultimately to arthritis.
- Injuries – There are injuries that could lead to the degenerative type of arthritis.
- Infections – There are infections that could also make way for you to suffer from arthritis.
For any conditions related to arthritis, there is a huge chance that the main cause will be involved. Nonetheless, most types of arthritis may be caused by a combination of two of more factors. A person could likely suffer from the condition as a result of several causes, rather than genetics. External factors could play a part if the onset is more susceptible to several conditions. Examples of these causes are smoking, infection, injury and physically-stressing occupations. In addition, there are foods that could worsen the onset of the condition, even though food sensitivity or diet is not likely to cause arthritis.
How To Prevent Arthritis – The Natural Treatments That Truly Matter
The use of the home remedies for arthritis is important, especially if the type of arthritis a person has is painful and may sideline him/her in doing the activities of daily living. Here are the best home remedies that everyone should know to get rid of the condition and the further spread of it:
- Ginger tea – We all know that regardless of the type of arthritis, inflammation is inevitable. That said, it is important to avoid the symptom to go on with the daily life. Ginger is one of the best natural remedies to lessen the effect of arthritis by managing it. You must prepare a tea made from ginger. Make sure to pick the fresh root of the ginger plant. Crush the ginger and mix it with boiling water. Once the mixture is boiling, bring it to a simmer. Let it be for the next 10 minutes. For added taste, you can add honey to the mixture. Honey can also offer health benefits. Make sure to have at least two cups of ginger tea two times each day.Ginger has an effect to the condition. It helps decrease joint pain and gets rid of the inflammation in people having rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Plus, it helps in the effective blood circulation in the body.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is another effective remedy to battle arthritis. It is known to have an anti-inflammatory effect, which is why it is an ideal remedy to battle the condition. It can likewise reduce the pain and the stiffness related to arthritis. Furthermore, turmeric can likewise act as a cleansing agent, which is why it can also act as a digestive aid. Turmeric can also be prepared as a tea. Just like the ginger tea, turmeric has to be mixed with water and bring to a boil. Afterwards, once the mixture has been brought down to an ideal temperature, you can drink it. You can have two cups of turmeric tea each day.
- Extra virgin coconut oil – Did you know that by simply applying extra virgin coconut oil in the affected area, you will get a relief? In fact, extra virgin coconut oil also helps eliminate the pain and the inflammation caused by arthritis. Also, extra virgin coconut oil can also be taken internally to get more benefits. It is rich in healthy oil, which is why it can also provide help for the overall quality of health. Using it is simple. Rub a liberal amount of olive oil to the sore joints in the body two times a day. Gently massage the area to avoid experiencing pain.
- Epsom salt – Another remedy to get rid of arthritis is Epsom salt. You can prepare a soak made from Epsom salt. It contains magnesium sulfate that can provide benefits for the health. Although magnesium sulfate sounds like a dangerous substance, it can offer help to have a pain relief from several conditions. In order to prepare the soak, you need to have a half cup of Epsom salt, warm water and a bowl.You have to fill the bowl with warm water, then add the half cup of Epsom salt. Mix together and then put the affected joint in the mixture. This is ideal if your arthritis occurs in the feet. However, if you have pain in other parts of the body like the elbow and the knees, you can still use Epsom salt. Take a bath with Epsom salt. You have to fill a tub with warm water and add two cups of Epsom salt. You can soak the affected site for at least 10 minutes for greater results.
- Dandelion leaves – Dandelion leaves contain great amounts of vitamins A and C. These vitamins can help in the speedy repair of the damaged tissues. Likewise, they can help clear the toxins and flush them away from the body. Also, dandelion leaves have anti-inflammatory effects. Because of its great help for the immune system, it can help in the treatment of arthritis, particularly rheumatoid arthritis. Today, you can prepare dandelion leaves along with a salad, or brewed tea.Preparation is easy. First, you need to have three teaspoons of dandelion leaves and one cup of boiling water. You must add the leaves to the boiling water and let it be mixed. Afterwards, you can drink the concoction. Or, if you want to include the leaves of dandelion in salad, you have to pick a handful of leaves along with extra virgin coconut oil. Mix the leaves with the salad of your choice, then eat hearty. Not only does it provide a great texture to the salad. It also helps you get rid of arthritis efficiently.
- Grape juice and pectin – Grape juice is a nice drink that will help you get rid of arthritis if drank with pectin. Pectin is a substance found in plants that help stave off arthritis. However, further studies are still required to know the real connection of pectin to arthritis, but it can help a person to eliminate the inflammation caused by arthritis. All you need is one tablespoon of the liquid form of pectin, along with a glass of grape juice. Just mix the pectin with the juice and stir. Drink the blend one to two times daily. However, even if this can help get rid of arthritis; the effects will be seen no later than after a week or two.
More Natural Treatments To Fend Off Arthritis
Traditionally, doctors treat arthritis with over-the-counter medications, which is why there is a possible window of side effects for those who will use it. Painkillers and anti-inflammatory medications might not be a good idea, especially for people who cannot tolerate the prolonged use of these medications. The best thing about it is that aside from the foods to help control the condition, there are lifestyle changes that must be considered to avoid arthritis from further worsening.
- Exercise is the key – One of the best ways to avoid the further worsening of arthritis is to have a regular schedule of exercise. This is important not only for you to fend off arthritis, but to enhance the overall health. Regular movement is essential to maintain the joint flexibility. However, if you want to exercise and you already have the condition, do not partake in weight-bearing exercises such as walking or jogging. Instead, you have to engage yourself to doing low-impact exercises like water aerobics and swimming to help your joints be flexed and moved.
- Lose significant weight – If you are overweight, it would have a big impact to the onset of arthritis. Your joint movements might be impaired as a result of being overweight, which is why it is important for you to lose weight. Extra weight will only put more pressure on your joints, particularly in the hips, knees and feet. By losing weight, you can get rid of stressing your joints too much. This will improve your mobility and decrease the pain. Likewise, it will help get rid of future damages regarding the joints.
- Acupuncture helps! – Acupuncture has been practiced since the ancient Chinese civilization, and it continues to be used now. This particular treatment helps re-route the energy in the body and restore the overall balance. It is also believed that acupuncture can help relieve pain caused by arthritis. If you want to try this particular treatment, make sure to go to a certified expert who has an expertise in acupuncture.
- Massage – There are studies suggesting that regular massaging of the joints prone to arthritis can help reduce the stiffness, inflammation and the pain. If you want to eliminate pain effectively, you can work with a physical therapist. However, make sure that the massage therapist you will get has an actual experience when it comes to arthritis treatment.
- Hot and cold therapy – Hot and cold therapy will mean the world for people with arthritis. Warm shower baths early in the morning can help ease the stiffness of the joint caused by arthritis. On the other hand, cold treatments can help in relieving the pain in the joint. You can wrap a bag full of ice on the affected area to get a quick relief from pain.
Why You Have To Take These Treatments For Arthritis Remedy?
Arthritis is truly a painful and degenerative disorder that tends to affect the overall quality of the health. Do not wait for it to take place. If you want to get rid of further problems caused by arthritis, then you have to consider the home remedies and lifestyle management mentioned here. Take note that these are all natural, which is why you will not have any side effects when you use these. Also, take into consideration to go to your physician if you wish to treat arthritis and go on with your life like you normally do.