A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a painful sensation felt when you urinate. It is brought by the buildup of bacteria in the bladder or the urethra. Also, UTI is more common among women than in men and in children. Today, this is a common condition that affects the overall lifestyle of a person suffering from it. As much as possible, it is important to know how to deal with it effectively. One can have the best natural treatments for the elimination of the UTI. Alongside these natural treatments, it is also imperative to make positive lifestyle adjustments.
What Exactly Is A UTI?
A UTI is a condition affecting the bladder, kidneys, ureters or the urethra. These organs are the structures where the urine will pass out from the body. Any of these structures may become infected by bacteria. Also, it is a must to take note that the farther the UTI is located, the more severe the case will be.
Upper urinary tract – This upper urinary tract is comprised of the ureters and the kidneys. If UTI takes place here, a person will suffer from nausea, vomiting, fever, chills and other serious symptoms.
Lower urinary tract – On the other hand, the lower urinary tract is composed of urethra and the bladder. A person is prone to developing cystitis or urethritis if UTI takes place in the lower urinary tract.
UTI takes place if an infection takes place in the urinary tract. Basically, the urine is sterile. The onset of bacterial growth in the area will affect the urine; therefore, the infection starts to spread. The infection begins at the urethral opening where the urine will be eliminated from the body. The bacteria is known as Escherichia coli (E. Coli). These bacteria harbor in the bowel and in the anus. Likewise, E. coli can move from the area surrounding the anus to the urethra. That being said, the bacteria will travel up the urethra and to the bladder. This is the place where it will spread and cause an infection.
Symptoms About UTI You Have To Watch Out For
To recognize UTI, keep these symptoms in mind so you will know when to see a doctor:
*An intense urge to urinate, even if there is only little drops when you go to the bathroom
*A burning and painful feeling every time you urinate
*Pain felt in the lower abdomen or the back
*Foul-smelling, dark and bloody urine
*Fever (Although this is likewise a sign that the bacterial infection has reached the kidneys)
Who Are Prone To Developing UTI?
Frequent UrinationAs mentioned, women are more prone to developing UTI than men and children. Furthermore, people who have a condition that blocks the urinary tract, like kidney stones, can also suffer from UTI. Those who have suffered from a spinal cord injury or bladder decompensation following menopause may also be a candidate to having a UTI. Women who likewise have a regular sex pattern may also suffer from UTI. During sexual intercourse, a woman might harbor large numbers of bacteria to the bladder. However, voiding after sex can decrease the chance of developing UTI.
When Should You Seek A Medical Treatment Involving UTI?
UTI is a grave condition that has to be treated right away. It might lead to other conditions, which is why you must consider going to the doctor as soon as possible. Anyone who develops the symptoms of UTI should seek a medical help within 24 hours. Most clinics today have the specific tests to determine UTI. Diagnosis is important to rule out UTI. Diagnosis will be made based on the information a person with a potential UTI has given. Also, a physical examination will complete the evaluation.
In addition, urinalysis is the most important test to be performed for people with a UTI. A urine sample will be collected for signs of infection, such as the presence of the white blood cells and bacteria. The presence of white blood cells in the urine means that these cells fight off the infection. On the other hand, a blood sample may also be required, although it is an indication of a more serious condition.
How To Deal With UTI And Prevent It From Further Affecting Your Health?
Even though UTI is a common health problem, its effects to the health must never be taken for granted. There are medical treatments that can solve the UTI problems, but they pose side effects. Aside from the fact that these over-the-counter medications pose a problem to health, they are likewise expensive if used on a regular basis. The home remedies for UTI are the best alternatives in terms of dealing with the condition and preventing it from further spreading.
Quick treatments are important to avoid any damages involving the kidneys. Many natural remedies can help get rid of UTI aside from the conventional treatment. Here are the top home remedies for UTI that everyone has to consider:
- Water – Water is the easiest and most efficient way to get rid of UTI. You must drink plenty of water if you have UTI. This is important to help you urinate more often. Water can likewise be less concentrated, which can be the way for the bacteria to be flushed away from the body. This helps you to recover at a faster rate. Remember to drink 10 glasses of water each day if you have UTI. Alternatively, you can look for fruit drinks as they provide vitamins and minerals to fight the infection caused by the condition.
- Coconut juice – The juice coming from the coconut fruit is known to help people with UTI. It contains all the essential nutrients to ward off the signs of the condition. It helps get rid of the bacterial growth in the bladder, which is why it has become one of the best and most effective treatment for the condition. Drinking a glass of pure coconut juice each day will help make the urine less acidic. In return, the urine will be eliminated without any pain.
- Cranberry juice – There are compounds in cranberries that can prevent the spread of the bacteria caused by UTI. In addition, cranberry juice has a mild antibiotic effect that can help dissolve the infection in the urinary tract. One of the easiest ways to deal with UTI is to drink half a glass of cranberry juice on an everyday basis. If a more severe cause of UTI is to be treated, drinking three glasses of this juice can help prevent the infection from damaging the kidneys. However, make sure to drink the unsweetened variants of the cranberry juice. Keep in mind that cranberry juice is a big no if you have any history of kidney stones.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is one of the best ways to deal with UTI. It has all the essential minerals and nutrients to prevent the bacteria from affecting you. Also, people suffering from UTI can also take advantage of apple cider vinegar as a form of natural antibiotic for the treatment of the infection. Preparing apple cider vinegar is simple. You can add two tablespoons of this remedy to a glass of water. Then, add honey to make the taste more ideal. Drink this concoction two times daily for a few days or until you get a better result.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are known to have properties that can help in the treatment of UTI. Its properties can help inhibit bacteria that cause the condition to arise. The antioxidants found in blueberries are likewise good for the immune system. They can help in the prevention of the bacterial growth caused by UTI. Blueberries are a great addition to your breakfast. Add blueberries to your cereal to jumpstart your day. Or, a blueberry juice can be taken two times daily, but makes sure to not add artificial sweetener.
- Baking soda – Did you know that baking soda can also get rid of the problems concerning UTI? Baking soda can help balance the pH levels in the body, which in return helps in the elimination of the pain being felt as a result of UTI. The acidity level in the urine needs to be neutralized to help speed up the recovery. Baking soda can be added to a glass of water. Then, drink it once a day to treat the problems involving UTI.
- Pineapple – Pineapple has an enzyme known as bromelain. Bromelain has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the symptoms of UTI. Eating a pineapple daily equivalent to one cup can help prevent the condition. Likewise, you can extract the juice from fresh pineapple then drink it. Make sure to look for the fresh pineapples because the canned counterparts may already have preservatives.
- Tea tree oil – It is known that tea tree oil contains antibacterial properties. These properties help stave off the bacterial growth in the bladder, which might lead to UTI. You can mix a liberal amount of tea tree oil with your bath water. This will serve as a wash for the urethra opening. This helps kill the bacteria, and prevent the further spread.
- Heat compress application – A heating pad is important to consider if any medications for UTI do not work. Place the heating pad in a towel and wrap it around for you to avoid getting burned. Place the heating pad on your bladder. This facilitates the prevention of bacterial growth and gets rid of pain. Moreover, a heat compress can help minimize the inflammation and prevent the spread of the bacteria.
- When you have to go, you got to go – This is important. If you wish to get rid of UTI, then you have to urinate whenever you feel the urge to. Holding it in will not directly cause an infection, but it can lead to another problem that can damage the bladder lining. This said, you will be more prone to bacteria.
Preventions To Eliminate UTI Effectively
Prevention is better than cure. In this case, preventing UTI is important to avoid any further problems from taking place. Here are the preventive measures that you need to consider to deal with UTI:
- Adequate liquid intake
- For women, wear cotton panties to keep the genital area dry
- After sexual intercourse, make sure to urinate right away
- You must never hold back your urine if you want to avoid UTI
- Eat a balanced diet
- Stay away from drinks with caffeine if you have UTI
- Avoid bathtub habits because it could be a sign of bacterial growth
- Proper handwashing is the key to avoid any bacteria problems
How To Keep UTI At Bay And Have A Healthy Life?
Anyone can get UTI if they do not modify their lifestyle for the better. It is important to take note of these home remedies for UTI to ensure the proper prevention of the condition. You can incorporate these remedies into your daily life, even if you do not have the condition, as they can help enhance your health. Remember that UTI may be a way for other problems to take place, which is why prevention must be considered first.